Wedding Day Count Down
Planning a wedding at any point can seem daunting and with some much to remember and in which order to do them here is just a quick run down, and a suggestion of what and when to plan.
After the engagement
• Set Date, time and discuss wedding plans with minister, priest or rabbi or registrar to confirm dates etc.
• Meet with both pairs of parents and decide on the budget and responsibilities
• Start obtaining estimates
• Meet with chief bridesmaids/matron of honour and best man to decide who to select as ushers, bridesmaids, page boys, flower girls.
• Decide what your attendants will wear
• With both sets of parents make a decision about the number of guests that you would like at the ceremony, the wedding reception/breakfast and additional guests for any evening reception.
• Draw up a short list of reception venues that are able to handle the number of guests, your chosen date
• Visit local florists and obtain details on flowers in season for your wedding, the types of displays that they offer, whether they can provide flowers for the church and/or venue, estimates of cost.
• Start considering your Wedding Gift list
• Start considering where you wish your honeymoon destination to be.
• Book time off for honeymoon.
• Check out local hotels for accommodation for guests who may be traveling to your Wedding.
• Book a photographer
• Book a videographer
• Visit bridal shops to obtain ideas for your wedding
• Book a dressmaker if you intend to have your dress made.
• Visit local caterers who will provide your Wedding cake, if possible ask to sample some of the cake.
• Provisionally book the wedding cars
Three Months before the Wedding
• Discuss the Order of Service and hymns with the minister.
• Make an appointment with the organist if required
• If you are having a civil ceremony, make an appointment to see the superintendent registrar exactly three months before the wedding date and book register office
• Choose the wedding rings
• Order Wedding invitations and envelopes for both Wedding and evening receptions, if you are sending response cards with the invitations order these at the same time.
• Order the Order of service sheets
• Order other stationery items such as Place cards, Thank you notelets, Menu Cards, Cake boxes, wedding favours.
• Confirm the wedding cars
• Buy any going away and honeymoon clothes
• Choose gifts for your attendants
• Consider taking out wedding insurance
• Make appointments to discuss hair and make-up. Start regular manicure sessions.
• Wedding dress fittings to commence
Two months before the wedding
• Send out invitations (6-8 weeks prior to wedding)
• Make a list of acceptances and refusals as they come in.
• Issue additional Invitations if required to make up for any refusals or revise your number of guests for the reception
• Finalise arrangements for the hire of any suits
• Continue fittings for wedding dress
• Discuss with photographer the type of photographs you require and at what locations, i.e. brides home, church, local parks, reception venue (inside and out).
One month before the wedding
• Visit your hairdresser to discuss most suitable hair-style for your head-dress/hat/veil.
• Book your final hairdressing appointment for the wedding
• Book your beauty/makeup session with your beautician.
• If you or a friend is providing the beauty or make up treatment, practice several times before the wedding day.
• Final Wedding dress fitting
• Check the estimated time for the journey from your home to the Church/Wedding Venue for the day and time of your wedding. Allow extra time if delays are encountered.
• Arrange hen and stag night parties
• Check final arrangements with florists, wedding cake caterer, wedding car company, photographer, videographer.
One week before wedding
• Confirm final numbers for the wedding reception and evening reception with the reception venue.
• Arrange for a rehearsal at the place of the wedding if possible.
• Collect Order of Service sheets
• Collect tickets for honeymoon
• Arrange any foreign currency if necessary
• Collect Wedding dress and other outfits.
• Determine final seating plan for the reception
• Write Place cards for reception